At the beginning of this week, I resumed work on the lettuce XGen Script. It is now highly functional and has a user interface. It doesn’t do everything that I wanted, but it does enough to satisfy the needs of the team. Because of the nature of Maya and XGen, I made sure to implement a very detailed logging system for when it inevitable breaks. The source code is available on my github.
After I completed the script, I moved into surfacing the environment. I started out with the floor, which appears in every scene, except for exteriors.
The texture is tri-planar mapped to the objects at an exact scale so that it is consistent from object to object, regardless of UVs. Most of the textures were baked from a model that I made and tile perfectly. The normal map is shown below, but there is also a glossiness, diffuse and dirt-map that go into the material. A little noise and variation are added through some seamless textures I adapted from textures.com.
We also incorporated some work on our User Interface into our Immersive Animation Homework.
- Concept Art – 1:00
- Environment Surfacing – 23:00
- Technical Directing – 14:00
- User Interface Design – 8:30
- Adviser Meeting – 4:00
- Group Meeting (Dallies) – 4:00